quoting from an email I received from the California State Department of Developmental Services
Your understanding is correct that during the first three years of the Self-Determination Program, enrollment is limited to 2,500 people. The Workgroup developed the process for enrollment as follows:
What does someone need to do to be considered for enrollment?
1. Participate in a required Pre-Enrollment Informational Meeting at your regional center (these have not yet been scheduled.) It’s important to hear, in greater detail, information about the Self-Determination Program. At this meeting, people will learn not only about the opportunities but also the increased responsibilities involved in accepting more control over coordinating their services. Understanding this information will help people decide if the Self-Determination Program might be a good option for them.
2. After participating in the required Pre-Enrollment Informational Meeting, let the regional center know you’re interested in enrolling in the Self-Determination Program. After you have participated in the Informational Meeting and you think that Self-Determination is a good option for you or your family member, you must let the regional center know you’re interested in enrolling in the Self-Determination Program. As discussed below, this does not guarantee you will be selected as part of the first 2,500 participants.
What happens after someone participates in the Informational Meeting and lets the regional center know they’re interested?
1. Regional centers send names of those interested to the Department of Developmental Services. Only those consumers/ family members who have participated in an Informational Meeting will be eligible for enrollment in the Self-Determination Program.
2. The Department of Developmental Services will send confirmation to those whose names were forwarded by the regional centers.
3. The Department of Developmental Services will randomly select the first 2,500 enrollees from among those who have attended an Informational Meeting. This selection will be done from the names of those received by the Department from the regional centers. The selection takes into consideration the following factors to ensure those selected are representative of the statewide regional center population: Regional Center Ethnicity Age Gender Disability diagnosis
4. Those selected can enroll in the Self-Determination Program. The enrollment will be done through the regional centers who will work with each participant to enroll in orientation, establish an individual budget, etc.
5. If not selected initially, consumers will remain on the interest list for future enrollment opportunities.
If you have additional questions, please forward them to SDP@dds.ca.gov.